[Foundation-l] Wikipedia Policy Interlingual Coordinationn - WP:NOT

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 14:25:38 UTC 2009

On Aug 6, 2009, at 9:59 AM, Chad wrote:

> Then ask him/her about it off list. This has nothing to do with
> foundation-l.
>
> -Chad
>
> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 9:54 AM,
> mizusumashi<mizusumashi at coda.ocn.ne.jp> wrote:
>> Hello, Huib.
>>
>> O.K.  I promise to stop this if Jade would declare her/his edit
>> history
>> or other activity - I think it's very very easy -.
>>
>> Huib! wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Could you discuss this outside the list? I don't see why it would be
>>> important for this list.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Huib
>>
>> ----
>>   [[w:ja:User:mizusumashi]]

This particular fight doesn't, no. But it does tangentially touch on
the broader issue of cross-wiki policies, and instances where certain
wikis "go rogue" (for instance, those that have instituted privacy
policy violating user tracking systems, or where only one or two
sysops exist and exercise de facto control over the entire list).

I have to say, this is far from the first time I've heard stories of
ja.wp administrators taking their private grievances out on
contributors.  Now we have them demanding that mailing users "declare
their edit history or other activity?" What's next? "Let me see your
identification papers?" The broader issue of "what standards should
apply cross-project and cross-community" and "who should be
responsible for ensuring/enforcing that certain projects do not adopt
policies that violate the Foundation's mission or standards" is worthy
of question on this list. I would assume that the answer to the latter
question is "the stewards", but the latter question can't be solved
until the former question of cross-project standards is resolved; and
I don't think that it has been.

If I'm wrong of course, and we've had this discussion before, I would
love to be pointed to it.

-Dan