[Foundation-l] Two questions about the licensing update of media files

Petr Kadlec petr.kadlec at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 10:11:37 UTC 2009

2009/8/4 Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell na gmail.com>:
> GFDL licensed images are still perfectly usable in freely licensed
> reference works, in spite of the  inconveniences in the license.

I am not sure what you mean, exactly. Do you consider GFDL to be
“strong copyleft”, i.e. that the viral clause applies to the text
surrounding a GFDL image? In that case, I don’t see where the “freely
licensed reference works” come from (GFDL does not talk about “freely
licensed”, only “under precisely this License”), and in that case,
CC-BY-SA-only Wikipedia articles would not be allowed to use GFDL-only
images. (In a similar way, GFDL-only Wikipedia articles of a recent
past would probably not have been allowed to use CC-only licensed
images.)

-- [[cs:User:Mormegil | Petr Kadlec]]