[Foundation-l] Two questions about the licensing update of media files

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 10:49:33 UTC 2009

Hoi,
The purpose of Wikipedia and its sister projects is to make material
available and have it used as widely as possible. The fact that we have two
licenses is a reasonable compromise because it allows everyone who remained
on the GFDL to continue to use our material. The purpose of the change has
been to allow the use of our material that is predominantly using only the
Creative Commons license.
The fact that all of our material can not be made available under the
CC-by-sa license because  of some people insisting on using the wrong
license is beyond me. The fact that we insist that the two licenses are
compatible does not make them compatible. The fact that it is unlikely that
WE get into problems, does not justify the continued practice of accepting
GFDL only material when our reusers might.
Thanks,
      GerardM