[Foundation-l] More on Wikimedia strategic planning

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 22:23:59 UTC 2009

2009/4/30 Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com>:
> I'd like to see Wikimedia as a community take some 300-year stances on
> knowledge dissemination,

Did you mean 300 years? 3 years is hard enough in our line of work, 30
would be a real challenge, 300 is simply impossible. I'm assuming that
was a typo...

>> * There is also a big question about languages. The work will need to
>> be done in English,
>
> Can you elaborate a bit?  Could a group that all speak better French
> than English not do their work in French and have it translated for
> others?  I would hope the language issue could be phrased as  "All
> work will need to be translated into English as a shared working
> language"...

If, by coincidence, there happens to be a group better able to
communicate in French than English, then I don't see why they
shouldn't be able to, but it is pretty unlikely. I would advise
against choosing committees along language lines, a diverse membership
of each committee would be far better.