[Foundation-l] Strategic plan resolution

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 09:28:38 UTC 2009

Hoi,
When 50% or our editors have English language skills it is certainly helpful
but it is not necessarily a good thing. It means that we are failing in our
efforts to get more editors who do not have English language skills. While
all the other languages get 57% of the edits we still have no studies on
these other languages. We still do not know what makes a difference for
these other languages. We still do not know the effect of the current lack
of support for most of our languages. For most of our languages we do not
even have the 500 most used messages localised !!

When you look at the self assessment that people give themselves at
translatewiki.net, you will find that many people do not rate their
competency level in English as really good but these are the people who
localise MediaWiki and who determine the usability of the user interface in
their language. Given that as part of the internationalisation effort, the
English language messages are checked by the developers at
translatewiki.netand are often improved, you can appreciate that not
only are most
localisation incomplete but there is also a need for proof reading and
improving the existing localisations.

In his reply Michael mentioned a need for the translation in to other
languages and I certainly agree that there is a need for spreading the
information we have as widely as possible. As important is learning what the
important issues are in the projects in other languages. As there are no
studies about this, we only assume that "these things will sort themselves
out". Sometimes they do, but I am convinced that we would do much better for
our "other" languages when they are given equal attention.

When 57% of our edits are in other languages, it would follow that equal
attention would be much more then what it is today. Given the current
structure of the WMF organisation there will always be a bias for English
and much of the dissemination of information will remain mainly in English.
Support for the projects in other languages can be given more importance.
There are many things that can be done to achieve much more. Some technical
and some organisational. There are plenty low hanging fruits but they will
only be picked when language support is given a priority.
Thanks,
       GerardM