[Foundation-l] NPOV as common value? (was Re: Board statement regarding biographies of living people)

Ting Chen wing.philopp at gmx.de
Wed Apr 22 11:11:14 UTC 2009

Hallo Brianna,

NPOV is mainly a principle of Wikipedia, later also used by Wikibooks
and Wikinews. There is at least one project (Wikiversity) which
explicitely allow participants not to follow NPOV, but the Disclosure of
Point of Views in Wikiversity follow in principle the ideal of NPOV: It
tells the reader and participants that the content has a point of view
and thus gives the reader and participants to be aware of this and
accordingly to adjust their judgement in reading and writing the content.

The question here is about projects like Commons or Wikisource. Mainly
they collect free content and serve as a shared repository for other
projects so that these other projects can use these content. The content
themselves may have POV, that's for sure, and we don't make edits or
comments in these sources to make them NPOV. But we do category them.
And at least here we do make sort of comment in the source. Let me take
an example that actually happend on Commons. It makes a diffrence if we
categorize a caricature of an israeli bus in form of a coffin to the
very neutral Category:Bus or to more commentary category
Category:Political caricature or to the very strong commentary category
Category:Anti-israeli caricature. It makes very big difference how
Commons categorize such images. And I am in these cases more for the
implementation of a similar policy like Wikiversity's Disclosure of
Point of View: A source with a very strong bias of point of view should
be accordingly categorized. With that we do nothing else as to hold our
principle ideal of NPOV on projects like commons.

The example of the caricatures also show that although the majority of
our Commons community are indeed interested in free content and NPOV,
but there are seemingly also people who had discovered Commons as a
medium to broadcast their political agenda. And for me this is a very
strong abuse of our principles. IMHO the community should not close its
eyes and does so as if this is not real.

Commons is a very unique project, you see this alone on its URL, it is
not de or en or fr or ar.commons.org, but commons.wikimedia.org. I
recognize what you said about the two possible natures of Commons, but I
also think that Commons is both. It is a service project, but it is not
a zombie or a gollem without its own insights and ideals.

Ting

--
Ting

Ting's Blog: http://wingphilopp.blogspot.com/