[Foundation-l] Announcement: New Chief Program Officer: Jennifer Riggs

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Wed Apr 15 05:45:39 UTC 2009

Mike.lifeguard wrote:
> Congratulations to the hiring committee as well for carrying out a
> successful hiring process.
To elaborate on this a little bit, I'd like to add some comments that
aren't specific to Jennifer or the position of Chief Program Officer.
While we were in San Francisco for the CPO interviews, Kat and I also
had some time for the staff to review with us the general state of
Wikimedia's hiring processes and staffing policies - in general, things
that come under the heading of "human resources". Overall, things are
well in order and the necessary details are being managed appropriately.

In a sense, this is also a bit mundane, and because personnel matters
are confidential, I don't have particular anecdotes to share that would
make it more interesting. But some of you will recall that before Sue
joined us, there were some breakdowns in this area. We now have various
policies and procedures, which I've reviewed to my satisfaction, that
should prevent similarly unfortunate circumstances from developing. In
addition, we've tied up some loose ends involving staffing so Sue and
the rest of the team can proceed with their work.

So, I'm pleased to report that the Wikimedia Foundation is in a solid
position in its employment practices. I expect that as a result, we will
be able to maintain an excellent staff that continues to accomplish far
more than you would normally anticipate from such a small team.

--Michael Snow