[Foundation-l] Compulsory policies for all Wikipedias

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Apr 10 21:40:23 UTC 2009

Fred Bauder wrote:
> However, I have faith that any
> Wikipedia will, through experience, learn that such a policy is required
> and adapt it. I think that is healthy, to develop policies as you learn
> from experience. They mean more.
This is important, but in conflict with having pre-determined policies.
A newly arrived person is not given the opportunity to learn through
that kind of participation and experience.  If he is told, "These are
our policies," he is not made to feel that he has any ownership in these
policies.  Those who develop policies have a vested interest in their
success, especially in regards to those policies that involved a hard
fight before being adopted.  They don't want to go through that fight
again.  So they protect their favorite policies, and sometimes impose a
need for consensus to change where a consensus to adopt the policy
wasn't always there in the first place.

Ec