[Foundation-l] Compulsory policies for all Wikipedias

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Apr 10 21:23:00 UTC 2009

Milos Rancic wrote:
> Note that I am not talking about some edit war, but about a dominant
> opinion of not so small number of communities. And those are just
> dominant and generic excuses. A lot of others are well rationalized
> excuses used by many communities and defined (or not) inside of the
> policies. Sometimes the policy is a problem, but in much more cases
> systematic policy interpretation is a problem.

A lot of communities will simply resent having a policy imposed upon
them when they feel they could not participate adequately in the
decision, even when a dispassionate look at the policy might produce
different results.  If you then tell them that they are responding
irrationally the natural tendency is for them to dig in their heels.

I strongly agree with your last point.  Systematic interpretation makes
the place look like a police state, and leaves no room for good-faith
innovation that does not fit in with the often monomanic police attitude
toward rules.

Ec