[Foundation-l] Compulsory policies for all Wikipedias

Ting Chen wing.philopp at gmx.de
Fri Apr 10 17:28:39 UTC 2009

Hello Jaska,

I think in principle we have the five pillars which should be hold by
all wikipedia language versions.

The foundation restrains from putting up too much global policies, but
there are foundation policies that also have implication to the
projects. For example the privacy policy
(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/foundation/d/d6/Privacy_Policy_Updated10.14.08.pdf
), the Access to Nonpublic Data Policy
(http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Access_to_nonpublic_data_policy )
and the Non Discrimination Policy
(http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Non_discrimination_policy ). I
expect the policy of Biography of Living Person to be published soon
which would also have impact on the projects.

Ting

Jaska Zedlik wrote:
> Hi!
>
> It is totally clear that all the Wikipedias must respect and follow
> some particular policies which are global for all the Wikipedias. The
> question is what are these policies?
>
> Each small Wikipedia doesn’t have all variety of policies and
> guidelines which major Wikipedias have, and—it’s obvious—some time or
> other they will need such a list of all-projects rules. What I found
> for now is http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:How_to_start_a_new_Wikipedia
> with the rules of copyright, license, NPOV and “What Wikipedia is
> not”, but this page “is obsolete or no longer maintained” (and there
> is even no rule of “Five pillars”). There is also page
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Founding_principles exists, but it
> seems to be relevant for all Wikimedia projects, not only Wikipedias
> (“Five pillars”, “What Wikipedia is not” are missed). There are some
> other pages exist, but they all are not relevant here as well.
>
> So, does an all-Wikipedias rules list exist, or if not, what are there
> global rules which all the Wikipedias must follow?
>
> And one more question. What is the general practice of who and how can
> decide whether something meets the (all-project) rules or not?
>
> (This message was also posted to Wikimedia Forum on Meta).
>
> Thanks,
> zedlik

Ting

Ting's Blog: http://wingphilopp.blogspot.com/