[Foundation-l] Compulsory policies for all Wikipedias

Pedro Sanchez pdsanchez at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 05:48:41 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Jaska Zedlik <jz53zc at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 21:27, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The question was about a list which should exist somewhere (at Meta).
> >

> Thank you, but not obligatory a list. I meant any form, even a number
> of rules written on this mailing list. Otherwise we (may) have a
> situation when, for instance, a user puts some inflammatory or
> divisive content on their user page and administrators are unable to
> delete it, until a policy which regulates this is adopted locally.

Even english wikipedia was close to allow divisive and inflammatory content
on an user page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Miscellany_for_deletion/User:Visitante

Becuase, ¡hey everyone is allowed to write about wikipedia on his userpage
even if it's attacking other project
even if account makes no other edits in years
policy allows it
and it's not about english wikipedia sysops

thankfully there are still admins with common sense. But the point is
even in Wikipedias with a "complete" set of rules
it's not enough to counteract trolls
precisely because so many rules create so many loopholes for wikilawyers and
rule worshippers