[Foundation-l] Non-free content on Commons

Ian A. Holton poeloq at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 20:59:23 UTC 2009

May I point out that Alex, also known as majorly or Al Tally, is a respected
member of the British Wikimedia crowd and not just a one off prankster using
a made up e-mail address. Also, this made me laugh and I would have thought
that a prank with cultural significance (due to the date), that is
reveleaded to be such, is also interesting for intercultural learning
instead of the opposite.

To single out single members of the community, especially respected
contributors on and off site, and calling them idiots I think is far worse.

Ian
[[User:Poeloq]]

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 9:49 PM, Brian <Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu> wrote:

> I've just finished coding up Non-Free Content Bot which spiders Google
> Images and uploads 10 per second to commons with no license information. I
> wrote the bot using MediaWiki's turing complete template language. Given
> that Google Images has 916,000,000 images I anticipate it will take
> 2.90269084 years to finish.
>
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 6:39 PM, Al Tally <majorly.wiki at googlemail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > I just came across this[1] policy on Commons, which states that from
> today,
> > non-free content is going to be allowed to be uploaded on Commons. I'm
> > rather shocked that this was pushed through without any notice here, or
> > anywhere, and it has become policy, going against Wikimedia's "free
> > content"
> > philosophy. Can people please input on the talk page as soon as possible
> > please, so we can get this reversed.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > --
> > Alex
> > (User:Majorly)
> >
> > [1] http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Non-free_content

Ian A Holton
Basler-Landstrasse 19a - 79111 Freiburg - Germany
+49 761  4587907   (Landline)
+49 157  77247397 (Mobile)