[Foundation-l] Agenda for October board meeting

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 30 23:26:35 UTC 2008

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:
> Florence Devouard wrote:
>

>> Staff
>> Related topic. Part of the job of the board is to set into place a
>> management (the ED), and then to regularly evaluate the job of the
>> management. Of course, such an evaluation can only be honestly done when
>> the management is given a collection of measurable goals to reach. When
>> I quit the board, Sue had been there for a year.
>
> Since no-one other than me has stood up to clarify the above,
> purely in the interests of leaving nobody on this list with an
> incorrect impression of the way things went about the board
> of trustees (even if they joined this list very lately); let us all be
> very clear that Florence Devouard never resigned from the
> board (despite her very confusing use of the word "quit" above).
>
> What Florence Devouard did do was to refrain from contesting
> the election, and putting herself forward for evaluation by the
> community as to whether she deserved to serve on the board
> another term. While it is sad that *her* performance was not
> judged by the community in this manner, we can merely speculate
> what its outcome would have been.
>
> But let us be very clear. Florence did not quit. She declined
> the opportunity to be evaluated for her job performance by
> the community. For whatever reason.
>

> Yours,
>
> Jussi-Ville Heiskanen

Are you upset because I did not give you the chance to vote for me ? ;-)

Indeed, my performance was not up for evaluation.
Would you have preferred that I run for election, win perhaps, and then
resign 1 month later ?

I would actually feel much happier knowing that *many* people, hundreds
or thousands, publicly showed their appreciation for my job so I could
leave with this warmth feeling.
I have at least some emails of thank yous, some presents I got at
Wikimania, and a little black notebook with nice comments that made me
cry. That's no public recognition but that's precious to me.

I already explained the reasons for not running. There are actually many
reasons. One of the most important (but certainly not the only one)
being that I am 40 years old and a mother of three kids below 12. I was
a mother at home for several years, which was a fabulous opportunity to
me. I could so happily dedicate these years to the projects and our
mission. I am so happy I had this opportunity !
Now, if you do a quick scan of the people dedicating a LOT of time to
our projects, you'll find, not so surprinsingly, that very few of them
are 40 years old moms of 3 with no job. Jussi, you are neither a woman,
nor a father. I do not think you can understand, sorry.
But one has to move on.

That's certainly a different story than the evaluation of Sue, who is
actually HIRED to do a job, PAID to do it, from money given by donors
for the job done by Wikipedians.

Don't you think ?

Taking the opportunity :-)

If you feel my job was good and would like to help me move forward irl,
please note that I am now working as an independant consultant in
collaborative media.

My new website address: http://anthere.org (unfortunately, still very
new and work-in-progress website, with limited english translation).

I'll be happy to answer any query.

And of course, if you just feel like saying "thanks", you can drop me a
word anytime.

Ant