[Foundation-l] NYT: Who owns the law? (Noam Cohen)

geni geniice at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 21:42:42 UTC 2008

2008/9/30 Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com>:
> geni wrote:
>> 2008/9/30 John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Absurd.  Most recently written copyright laws are very clear that laws
>>> and judicial opinions are in the public domain.  add Israel and
>>> Azerbaijan to the growing list appearing in this thread.
>>>

>> Okey. As I've said I'm more familiar with British based law than
>> French based (is Azerbaijan Russian based?). The problem is that
>> British does not have PD laws and has never done so which means that
>> anyone with an English law based legal system who hasn't updated the
>> relevant sections will not have PD laws. Rather a lot of countries
>> have English law based legal systems.
>>

> Not okay. This is just absurd. It is ludicrous to assume that every
> country which is based on English law, will have jumped over the cliff
> after it, and balked from safeguarding itself from copyright silliness.
>
> Yours,
>
> Jussi-Ville Heiskanen

Given that a highly industrialised state like Israel only managed to
update it's legal system last year and it appears that Australia
hasn't updated the relevant part I wouldn't say that is a safe bet.
Can anyone find an exception in Canadian law? Appears at first glance
to fall under sec 12 (crown copyright). Actually section 12 may have
additional issues.

Copyright silliness is also questionable. It is fairly easy to see how
a government could think that the liberties of crown copyright are
enough.

--
geni