[Foundation-l] Chapters coordinator: wrapping up the role

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 30 21:37:17 UTC 2008

Delphine Ménard wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> in the past few months, the Wikimedia chapters have evolved a lot,
> introducing brand new chapters in the WIkimedia family, which bring
> new blood and perspectives in the evolution of Wikimedia as a
> worldwide organisation.
>
> The Board of the Wikimedia Foundation has also renewed its confidence
> in the ability of the chapters to further the Wikimedia mission, by
> asking them to select two board members. The last announcement of the
> upcoming board meeting agenda shows that chapters are at the core of
> Wikimedia's strategy.
>
> All of these changes have been accompanied by recurring questions
> about the role of chapters and the nature of the relationship
> Wikimedia chapters should entertain with the Wikimedia Foundation. And
> those questions are still, to some extent "in the air". Much has been
> done, much has been thought about and much remains to do and to
> brainstorm about.
>
> In the course of these conversations, it has become evident that the
> "Chapters question" (or issue, or stuff, or thing) needs a reboot.
> Reboot in the sense that a new structure and process is needed to best
> capture the energy and  perspectives of the growing number of
> chapters, along with the growing stability of the staff and board of
> the Wikimedia Foundation. One of the steps in this reboot is the
> wrap-up of the Chapters Coordinator position.
>
> I have been committed to that position for the past 3 years, first as
> a volunteer, and since February 2007 as an external consultant and I
> am stopping my work as Chapters Coordinator today. I have been
> wrapping up my work with the chapters in the last few weeks. While the
> role of Chapters Coordinator as such will not be continued, the staff
> of the Wikimedia Foundation is here and ready to work with the
> chapters.
>
> The Chapters Committee [1], which has recently renewed its members, is
> also here to help existing chapters as well as chapters "to be" to go
> forward in developping Wikimedia as a worldwide presence.
>
> I am a bit sad to be leaving, to tell you the truth, but I am also
> confident that this "reboot" is much needed, and that many good things
> can spring out of it.
>
> I will continue to be involved in Wikimedia as a volunteer. I hope to
> participate in this reboot from a different angle. Quickly reflecting
> on these last three years, and especially these last few months, which
> have been rich in ideas, emotions, questions, novelties and
> interesting bits altogether, I want to give my thanks to the (growing)
> staff of the Wikimedia Foundation for their support in my
> "remoteness", I also wish to thank here all the "chapters people",
> those who have been patient or impatient, clueless or full of ideas
> and most important, full of motivation and hope. I would not want to
> go into "Academy Awards' mode", but I still want to take this one
> [...]

Well.
The projects are growing and the Foundation is growing and maturing as well.

I'll always remember the day we first chatted on irc and I asked you
what your job was irl. Your answer was "event organizer". That was one
month after Elian had this brillant idea of setting up a big event for
wikipedians to meet with each other; none of us knew how to do that. And
all of a sudden, an event organizer shows up ! A miracle. This may have
been one of the unique situations where we did not have to entirely
reinvent the wheel :-)

Growing together was a one step at a time journey, with much learning
all the time. Much fun. Much wonders. Pains sometimes. I liked working
antfish, and I thank you for the statement.

As for the future, just as you do, I hope that the disappearance of the
chapter coordinator role will indeed be an energy shot, a reboot, a new
birth, and that in the future, the WMF and the chapters will
successfully cooperate to ensure a worldwide positive presence.
I expect more presence and will and strength from the chapter committee
members than they have showed till now, to help us progress in this
direction. I also hope that the board of Wikimedia Foundation will
rapidly name a new board representative as a gesture to prove their
interest to work with the little sisters of WMF.

Meanwhile, Delphine, I know we'll meet again on "the other side" :-)

Je ...