[Foundation-l] Chapters coordinator: wrapping up the role

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 19:46:18 UTC 2008

Dear all,

in the past few months, the Wikimedia chapters have evolved a lot,
introducing brand new chapters in the WIkimedia family, which bring
new blood and perspectives in the evolution of Wikimedia as a
worldwide organisation.

The Board of the Wikimedia Foundation has also renewed its confidence
in the ability of the chapters to further the Wikimedia mission, by
asking them to select two board members. The last announcement of the
upcoming board meeting agenda shows that chapters are at the core of
Wikimedia's strategy.

All of these changes have been accompanied by recurring questions
about the role of chapters and the nature of the relationship
Wikimedia chapters should entertain with the Wikimedia Foundation. And
those questions are still, to some extent "in the air". Much has been
done, much has been thought about and much remains to do and to
brainstorm about.

In the course of these conversations, it has become evident that the
"Chapters question" (or issue, or stuff, or thing) needs a reboot.
Reboot in the sense that a new structure and process is needed to best
capture the energy and  perspectives of the growing number of
chapters, along with the growing stability of the staff and board of
the Wikimedia Foundation. One of the steps in this reboot is the
wrap-up of the Chapters Coordinator position.

I have been committed to that position for the past 3 years, first as
a volunteer, and since February 2007 as an external consultant and I
am stopping my work as Chapters Coordinator today. I have been
wrapping up my work with the chapters in the last few weeks. While the
role of Chapters Coordinator as such will not be continued, the staff
of the Wikimedia Foundation is here and ready to work with the
chapters.

The Chapters Committee [1], which has recently renewed its members, is
also here to help existing chapters as well as chapters "to be" to go
forward in developping Wikimedia as a worldwide presence.

I am a bit sad to be leaving, to tell you the truth, but I am also
confident that this "reboot" is much needed, and that many good things
can spring out of it.

I will continue to be involved in Wikimedia as a volunteer. I hope to
participate in this reboot from a different angle. Quickly reflecting
on these last three years, and especially these last few months, which
have been rich in ideas, emotions, questions, novelties and
interesting bits altogether, I want to give my thanks to the (growing)
staff of the Wikimedia Foundation for their support in my
"remoteness", I also wish to thank here all the "chapters people",
those who have been patient or impatient, clueless or full of ideas
and most important, full of motivation and hope. I would not want to
go into "Academy Awards' mode", but I still want to take this one
opportunity to publicly thank Florence for her never faltering vision
of what Wikimedia could accomplish, which was an inspiration all the
way.

I am convinced that the Wikimedia organisations have great things to
accomplish, and I am proud to be a part of their growth on so many
different levels.

I shall see you on "the other side". Who knows, I might even get back
to editing? (well, as soon as I master the syntax again ;-) )

Cheers,

Delphine
[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Chapters_committee

--