[Foundation-l] NYT: Who owns the law? (Noam Cohen)

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 17:06:12 UTC 2008

2008/9/30 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:

>> UK, Canada and Australia are the only three I can quickly think of
>> where crown copyright is asserted over public laws, however the crown
>> provides simple to fulfil reuse requirements that are essentially in
>> place to prevent misuse.
>
> Do you have a quick link to the reuse requirements?

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/about/faqs-crown-copyright.htm

"Waiver means that although copyright is asserted, Government wishes
to encourage the widespread use of the material. Users are permitted
to copy or publish the material in any medium without having to seek
formal permission or to pay a fee. Users should make sure that - the
material is reproduced accurately and not in a misleading context;
that the material is correctly acknowledged and that the source and
status of the material is identified."

This is the generic Crown Copyright waiver applied to such material.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk