[Foundation-l] Freedom, standards, and file formats

THURNER rupert rupert.thurner at wikimedia.ch
Tue Sep 30 03:18:42 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 3:52 AM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> 2008/9/27 Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com>:
> > The existing system correctly plays back for an overwhelming majority
> > of users (I posted some stats on this two years ago or so)
>
> Could you give a link, just for reference purposes?
>
> I think this discussion needs to be informed by as much hard data as
> possible: Do users manage to successfully and repeatedly play back a
> full video with sound, and how does their success rate compare with
> other solutions? How do they behave when they cannot play the video?
> I'll look into what we can do to get up-to-date user experiences.
> Things should improve significantly with Firefox 3.1, so we may want
> to hold off any new tests until it has gained some adoption.

i was wondering how one could check that, and i noticed that i did not know,
out of the top of my head, a single article including a video.  so i checked
commons, http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Video.

and, surprise, no sound on ubuntu intrepid (mine at least). e.g.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:AK_drum_performance.ogg. the ogg
itself plays with sound, there is just no easy possibility in wikipedia to
play it that way as the java player insists to come up, and does not work as
expected. also, i had to look for a video with sound, because the videos are
not marked if they are with or without sound.

maybe we should start an initiative to include all these videos to some
articles to get more feedback? or add an easy "feedback" link prominently
going to some kind of otrs?

rupert.