[Foundation-l] Freedom, standards, and file formats

mboverload mboverloadlister at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 03:02:59 UTC 2008

Just a general response:

Wikipedia, being one of the top 10 websites on Earth, has enormous
power.  People are not going to go to a Wikipedia page and see a video
and not want to play it.  "A highly trustworthy site is using a video
format that I can't view.  I'll just give up".

No, they are going to follow the link "If you can't see this video
click here" and install the viewer.  You just then need to get some
video into some mainstream articles.  Wikipedia then has just
single-handily expanded the install base for Theora, and it's down the
slippery slope to widespread adoption.