[Foundation-l] Can anyone really edit Wikipedia?

Finne Boonen hennar at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 16:20:52 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Delphine Ménard <notafishz at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 17:37, Andrew Whitworth <wknight8111 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Some kind of syntax highlighting might be good (we obviously have
>> syntax highlighting extensions already installed, the trick now is
>> just making it work in the edit window). Syntax folding might be a
>> nice addition too, but I've never seen that in a working web
>> interface. WYSIWYG is obviously the ultimate goal, but progress on
>> that has been understandably slow. There are some interesting helpful
>> editing extensions available, maybe some of them need to be evaluated
>> and good cross-platform features could be folded into MediaWiki's core
>> eventually.
>
> For what it's worth, I think WYSIWYG is evil. But there is probably a
> middle path between cluttered text and Word-like unstructuration.
>
> To some extent, I am thinking that this difficult in editing might
> prompt vandalism (It's all gibberish anyway, so who cares") and
> prevent participation ("I seriously tried to edit this page to make
> this grammatical mistake go away, but I just couldn't".)

http://mediawiki.fckeditor.net/ might be useful tho. It allows to
enter structure as well as specify looks.

Might be better to take out the looks parts tho.

Finne/henna

--
"Maybe you knew early on that your track went from point A to B, but
unlike you I wasn't given a map at birth!" Alyssa, "Chasing Amy"