[Foundation-l] Can anyone really edit Wikipedia?

Dirk Riehle dirk at riehle.org
Thu Sep 25 23:57:44 UTC 2008

Well, Brion probably knows what's coming, but what you are describing
was attempted here:

http://www.wikicreole.org

A commonly agreed upon wiki syntax that is easy to use. Wiki Creole is
actually mostly derived from Mediawiki Syntax.

It is a success---many wiki engines use it. Brion was at the first
workshop and expressed his support and interest, and we discussed many
migration options. As far as I can tell nothing happened wrt to
Mediawiki using WikiCreole---the reality of day-to-day work and the
complexity of a heavy-duty wiki engine took its toll (my guess).

If you are serious about reviving efforts for simplified or more
formally defined wiki text (i.e. a specification not just an
implementation) I suggest you talk to the Wiki Creole guys. You may
also like my own work on an (EBNF) grammar for wiki text, see
http://www.riehle.org/category/wiki-tech/

Cheers,
Dirk

Phone: +1 650 215 3459