[Foundation-l] Data retention

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 19:37:13 UTC 2008

2008/9/20 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
>> >  Just so they can help someone
>> > they consider to be a "particularly troublesome user" escape legal
>> > consequences for her actions?
>>
>> Legal consequences? I don't understand... the result of being caught
>> by a checkuser is usually a block, I wouldn't call that a legal
>> consequence.
>>

> No, you were talking about subpoenas...I guess I misread you.

Ah, I see! My misunderstanding there, sorry. Firstly, I would assume
anyone having subpoenas issued about that is innocent, since they
haven't been convicted yet. Secondly, I have no problem with
checkusers complying with subpoenas, but the new privacy policy
commits the WMF to trying to notify the subject and to hold off on
complying if the subpoena is challenged in court - would individual
checkusers do the same?