[Foundation-l] Global blocking needs to be halted for now

the dave ross thedaveross at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 01:31:31 UTC 2008

I think it is very unfortunate that we allow individuals (vandals) to have
such a huge impact on both the administrative volunteers and the general
contributing public.  This whole global IP block issue is a result of yet
another attempt we have made to stem prolific vandals, and yet another
attempt which causes more collateral damage than it prevents vandalism.  Why
is it that we can't take legal recourse against individuals who persistently
vandalize Wikimedia projects?  It doesn't seem like it would be hard to
claim damages, we spend thousands of hours cleaning up after these people,
we have the means to identify them to some extent to authorities.  More than
once in my experience vandals have been made to account for their actions
either legally or through an academic institution, I think that it is long
since time that we say enough is enough and put some procedure in place to
stop the persistent vandals through legal action.

-Dave Ross