[Foundation-l] Delete of Article History and GFDL

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Mon Sep 15 18:58:03 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 2:52 PM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 2:09 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> 2008/9/15 Joe Szilagyi <szilagyi at gmail.com>:
>> > Question. Didn't the practice of oversighting and deleting selective
>> > versions previously cause prolems with misattributing who created the
>> > adjacent contributions, by virtue of making the "removed" edits
>> functionally
>> > invisible?
>>
>> That's only an issue if the edit wasn't reverted. No edit should be
>> oversighted/deleted without being reverted first.
>>

> This "should" you speak of - are you referring to an enforced rule on all
> WMF projects or your own personal opinion?  Because, things *are*
> oversighted/deleted without being reverted first.  It happens, and it will
> most likely continue to happen.  Allowing it to happen in a way that doesn't
> violate the GFDL would be a good thing.

By the way, an example of a time when an edit *should* be
oversighted/deleted without being reverted first:

User A creates a BLP.
User B adds confidential information about the subject of the biography.
Users C, D, E, F, G, H, I, and J make positive contributions to the BLP.

Then the confidential information is discovered.  To delete the confidential
information you have to delete the revisions created by users B, C, D, E, F,
G, H, I, and J.  You could do this by reverting to the version by User A,
but why in the world *should* you be forced to do that?

Anthony