[Foundation-l] Delete of Article History and GFDL

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 15:19:26 UTC 2008

2008/9/12 Ting Chen <wing.philopp at gmx.de>:

> in the Chinese Wikipedia an administrator had deleted part of article
> histories. He deleted the article complete and then reversed the
> deletion of part of the historical versions. He did this in good faith,
> because he deleted vandalism edits and copy right violation content. I
> was the opinion that this is not a good idea because at first the GFDL
> requires the edit histories (also of the vandalism edits) and second
> because thus we lost part of the records about the vandals edits.
> What is the right way here?

That's the way we usually clean up copyvios on en:wp. Severely
libelous, illegal or personally dangerous content (home phone numbers,
etc) may even be oversighted, so not even admins can see it. As long
as all actual present content has its source attributed, the
Foundation hasn't so far considered this problematic in GFDL terms.

- d.