[Foundation-l] Klassical Chinese

geni geniice at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 21:38:52 UTC 2008

2008/9/11 Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com>:
> So, Geni, if you want all of these languages to die, what do you
> propose WE do about it? Just curious. Not that I agree with you, but
> for all this talk, we might as well see what your proposed plan of
> action is.
> Mark

Avoid actively aiding language revival. Languages should be allowed to
die with dignity.

"Me ne vidn cewsel Sawznek!" That's the way to go. Creating one last story.

I would rather people remembered the Epic of Gilgamesh rather than a
Babylonian revivalist movement.

As for languages dieing we need do nothing. It appears to be widely
accepted that a fair chunk of those 6000 are endangered. If we accept
that they are going to die and we should not attempt to prevent this
the challenge becomes one of trying to salvage as much information
from them as possible. Easter island shows the risks of not doing so.
Unfortunately we do not at this time have the resources or the skills
to do this.

--
geni