[Foundation-l] Klassical Chinese

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 14:35:09 UTC 2008

Hoi,
As we are not to support barriers to knowledge, we should acknowledge that
people learn a new subject best in their own language. For people who know
multiple languages we point to information in other languages by way of the
"interwiki links".

I do not understand why people who speak English equate the ability to speak
a language with a country.. English, French, German, Dutch and many many
other languages are spoken in multiple countries. Consequently it is wrong
to call people who support their mother tongue nationalist.

When a person knowledgeable in the English language and its dialects is
confronted with people from London, Sydney, the US bible or SF it is almost
certain that people can be identified to their origin based on their
language. English is not a monolith, even when you have a rich vocabulary
you will not know many words that are basic to people speaking native
English who life in a different cultural setting.

Language is interesting, it works best if the words and concepts you use are
shared. Even within one language, one region this is not a given.
Thanks,
      GerardM