[Foundation-l] Frieda Brioschi resigns from the Wikimedia Board of Trustees

Ral315 wiki.ral315 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 02:26:15 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 10:06 PM, oscar van dillen <
oscarvandillen at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> well, but i seem to recall a similar situation has occurred before?
>
> all the best,
> oscar

In July 2006, Angela Beesley resigned from her position.  Elections were
held in September 2006, and the winner (Erik Möller) served out the rest of
Angela's term, standing for re-election 8 months later.

In October 2007, Michael Davis resigned.  His was not a community position,
and he was effectively replaced by Domas Mituzas in February 2008.

In December 2007, Erik Möller resigned.  His position was filled by the
Board in February 2008; they chose Michael Snow, who had run in the previous
Board elections and finished 25 votes (~0.6%) short of a seat.

For a case like this, where elections will be held in June 2009 anyway, I
don't mind the Board choosing either to temporarily fill the seat with a
community member, or leave it vacant.  I think if someone were to resign
just a few months into their term, an off-year election might be worth
considering, but there's no reason to hurry into an election.  Precedent
seems to be that if the term is close to expiring, it's merely filled
(Erik's seat), but if the term has a year or so left, an off-year election
has been held (Angela's seat)

If we were to hold an election, it wouldn't give the new board member much
time in their seat.  Looking at prior elections, the fastest we could
conceivably get a new election completed by is probably mid-to-late
November, with the winner being certified at the November/December meeting,
and attending their first Board meeting in January 2009.

--
[[User:Ral315]]