[Foundation-l] Klassical Chinese

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 20:23:09 UTC 2008

2008/9/8 Nikola Smolenski <smolensk at eunet.yu>:
>> Oh I don't know the level of English spoken in say Poland is quite
>> impressive.
>
> So?

It means that when there isn't an nationalist region to oppose a
language which provides access to greater information and
opportunities it's use can become widespread.

>> > (Most) human languages arose spontaneously, without conscious effort, and
>> > so barriers among them are natural and not artificial.
>>
>> Serbian though is a dialect of Serbo-Croatian where the barrier is
>> highly artificial (and people now want to divide it further with
>> Montenegrin).
>
> No, actually, Serbo-Croatian is a dialect of Serbian.

Sigh. Trying to claim that the Central South Slavic diasystem  is a
dialect of Serbian is unhelpful.

> And the barrier is highly non-existant.

We have wikipedias in both serbian and croat. So this non existent barrier?

>> An increasing number of languages only exist through large scale
>> government support. Increasing levels of international communication
>> means that we should see non major languages start to die off.
>
> So?

I see no reason to interfere with the natural die off.

--
geni