[Foundation-l] Are we useful yet?

Dennis During dcduring at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 18:41:29 UTC 2008

How would we KNOW that our efforts were pleasing to anyone other than
ourselves?  We have very little information about how valuable our
users fee about any of the projects in any language.  In the name of
some definition of privacy we have created a world where our efforts
face virtually no broad reality check.

I suppose we could rely on a marketplace test: Are we succeeding at
raising the funds required to keep the operation running and at
getting volunteer help to reduce the need for funding?

Presumably the foundations and corporate funders know how to evaluate
us, whether it is on some statistical basis, on some good-intentions
test, on a feel-good basis, or based on how it contributes to their
own objectives.

As to volunteers, who knows what the diversity of motivations is, but
we seem to get a fair amount of help, albeit not quite enough
disinterested, yet expert help that has the patience to stay with the
projects.

--
Dennis C. During

But then arises the doubt, can the mind of man, which has, as I fully
believe, been developed from a mind as low as that possessed by the
lowest animals, be trusted when it draws such grand conclusions ? --
Charles Darwin