[Foundation-l] Klassical Chinese

Ting Chen wing.philopp at gmx.de
Sun Sep 7 06:21:27 UTC 2008

Nikola Smolenski wrote:
> On Friday 05 September 2008 18:46:32 Yaroslav M. Blanter wrote:
>
>>> Yes, I think at this point we agree each other. Maybe we could consider
>>> a project category, whose purpose is the conservation of languages. As I
>>> wrote in a reply to Tim earlier I think MediaWiki can help a lot. But it
>>> must not be a Wikipedia.
>>>
>> Actually, this category has been discussed a countless number of times,
>> and most often under a name of "wikicompendium". It would be good, for
>> instance, for minor languages, where there may be not enough speakers to
>> support a wikipedia and not so many sources to support a wikiquote or a
>> wikisource, but if you put them all in one basket it may be a project with
>> a chance to survive. The same is with the dead languages (with an obvious
>> exception for latin, which is good enough to support all the projects),
>> and possibly even with conlangs.
>>

> The problem is, that Wikipedia is by far and wide the most well-known name of
> all Wikimedia projects. Naming a project "Wikicompendium" would hurt
> recognition of the project, while naming it "Wikipedia" would help, and
> shouldn't hurt Wikipedia's recognition, even if technically it's not an
> encyclopedia.

That's true. But on the other hand, such a project is not for attracting
a lot of people. It is a place for people to do conservation works for a
small or already dead language. It would by nature not have a lot of
editors and users. Maybe only the ethmologists who are doing the
conservation works.

Ting