[Foundation-l] Klassical Chinese

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 00:56:27 UTC 2008

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 11:49 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/9/6 Nikola Smolenski <smolensk at eunet.yu>:
>
>> The problem is, that Wikipedia is by far and wide the most well-known name of
>> all Wikimedia projects. Naming a project "Wikicompendium" would hurt
>> recognition of the project, while naming it "Wikipedia" would help, and
>> shouldn't hurt Wikipedia's recognition, even if technically it's not an
>> encyclopedia.
>

> Depends what you call "encyclopedia." There's broader reasonable
> definitions of "encyclopedia" than whatever en:wp uses - the quotes
> database, the source texts, the books, how-tos, these could all
> reasonably be part of an encyclopedia. Just not most of our large
> Wikipedias.

I just wanted to say a word about that... We may make "fake
Wikipedias" or so. Let's say that
http://wikicompendium.org/wiki/encyclopedia:xyz:Main_Page is the main
page of Wikipedia in language with the code xyz. Then
http://xyz.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page should be a virtual redirect
to http://wikicompendium.org/wiki/encyclopedia:xyx:Main_Page (I think
that I would be able to make a couple of mod_rewrite commands to make
that). So, speakers of small languages would have their Wikipedia
(Wiktionary, Wikibooks), and we will have one project managed from one
place.