[Foundation-l] Klassical Chinese

Nikola Smolenski smolensk at eunet.yu
Sat Sep 6 21:44:15 UTC 2008

On Friday 05 September 2008 18:46:32 Yaroslav M. Blanter wrote:
> > Yes, I think at this point we agree each other. Maybe we could consider
> > a project category, whose purpose is the conservation of languages. As I
> > wrote in a reply to Tim earlier I think MediaWiki can help a lot. But it
> > must not be a Wikipedia.
>
> Actually, this category has been discussed a countless number of times,
> and most often under a name of "wikicompendium". It would be good, for
> instance, for minor languages, where there may be not enough speakers to
> support a wikipedia and not so many sources to support a wikiquote or a
> wikisource, but if you put them all in one basket it may be a project with
> a chance to survive. The same is with the dead languages (with an obvious
> exception for latin, which is good enough to support all the projects),
> and possibly even with conlangs.

The problem is, that Wikipedia is by far and wide the most well-known name of
all Wikimedia projects. Naming a project "Wikicompendium" would hurt
recognition of the project, while naming it "Wikipedia" would help, and
shouldn't hurt Wikipedia's recognition, even if technically it's not an
encyclopedia.