[Foundation-l] Community draft of language proposal policy

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 17:56:24 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> When you have the community decide on these issues you invite the
> dictatorship of a majority... if that is not political what is ??

Gerard, I love you as a friend, but you are really pain in the ass :)
When you feel comfortable in linguistic area, you use those arguments;
when you feel comfortable in Internet standardization area, you use
those arguments (as you convinced me in private conversation a month
or two ago that standards like HTML are using ISO, not RFC/BCP codes),
and, finally, when you feel comfortable in politics, you use political
arguments.

So, please, if you want to, let's say, use linguistic arguments, then
just try to think a little bit out of the scope of your knowledge --
yes, there are some people who know about languages better than you.
And I am sure that they would be glad to help to Wikipedia. If you
have a problem with asking, I may ask them.

And, if you want to use other arguments, please, use them consistently.

In this particular case, there are two options: (1) To use political
methods or (2) to use expert methods. If you don't want to ask for
expertise some university, then you have to ask the community. In both
cases LangCom is not an untouchable quasi-political-quasi-expert body,
but a body which gathers expertise to support the community. Community
is not here to support LangCom (as well as community is not here to
support, let's say, stewards -- stewards are here to support
community).