[Foundation-l] [Commons-l] Massive image loss

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 11:59:50 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 6:11 AM, Tim Starling <tstarling at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> This is a triple-crosspost. I suggest you reply to wikitech-l only.
>
> A mistake I made caused the loss of 496 full-resolution images from
> Wikimedia servers.
[snip]
> http://noc.wikimedia.org/~tstarling/missing-images-2008-09
>
> If anyone has any ideas about where to find more backup files, I'd be
> willing to hear them. Otherwise, the community will just have to reupload
> as many as possible.
[snip]

I have 30 of the 496 images in that list based on an exact path match.
 It's possible that I have more based on hash matches for image which
were moved between sites or 'renamed' after my last sync.

I have some chores to run, but I will later pull the hashes from the
database and check for hash matches.

I would likely have had nearly all of them if the rsync push to me had
not been down most of the year.

:(