[Foundation-l] STOP DOUBLE STANDARD!!! OR HYPOCRESY!!!

geni geniice at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 00:07:48 UTC 2008

2008/9/3 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 6:07 PM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Latin being dead is really only a technicality.
>

> How so?

Because the term "zombie language" is unlikely to catch on any time soon.

>  Are there Latin words for new concepts?

Yes. There are news broadcasts in latin:

> Is there a Latin word for
> "internet", and "cell phone", and "microwave"?

"Interrete", err la.wikipedia goes for "Telephonum gestabile" which
looks horrific not sure about microwave.

>If so, it's not dead.

It's not a living language in anything approaching the conventional sense.

>  If
> not, how can you write an encyclopedia in it?

We have a wikipedia in Cornish. Generally you solve the problem either
by using constructs or loanwords from the dominant local language
sometimes localising them on the way.

For example our cornish wikipedia contains the word "mappa" which is
pretty clearly modified from the English while it takes "planet"
directly.

--
geni