[Foundation-l] STOP DOUBLE STANDARD!!! OR HYPOCRESY!!!

Ilario Valdelli valdelli at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 21:37:07 UTC 2008

I repeat.

It's different: Ortodoxe Church can use "old greek", but in this case
they use an old language without native speakers, Jewish church uses the
Classical Hebrew, but there are no native speakers in Classical Hebrew,
Hinduism is still using sanskrit for liturgical purposes, but there are
no native speakers in sanskrit.

The Ecclesiastic Latin is not the language used in the Bible or in
Ancient Rome (the pronunciation for example is strongly different) but
it's a language created when the latin was already substituted by
"vulgari eloquentia". It has *never* had a native speaker, never. For
this reason it's an artificial language (or better an artificial
"version" of latin) and for this reason it can have a translation of
modern words
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecclesiastical_Latin#Language_materials).

I cannot think how an "old greek Wikipedia" or a "Classical Hebrew
Wikipedia" can translate an article about "spintronics" for example.

The difference between Latin and old languages still used in the
churches is that Latin has not lose the richness of linguistic registers
because, for example, in the XVII century Galileo has written main
scientific articles in latin
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidereus_Nuncius), more similar to
ecclesiastic one that to classical one.

Latin is prepared to face different types of topics.

Ilario