[Foundation-l] STOP DOUBLE STANDARD!!! OR HYPOCRESY!!!

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 20:41:24 UTC 2008

2008/9/3 Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 10:26 PM, Ilario Valdelli <valdelli at gmail.com> wrote:
>> There are latin speakers in the Vatican for example.
>
> There are Old Greek speakers all over the world. But, there are no
> native speakers of both; which is crucial for a new language edition
> of a Wikimedia project. So, according to that, there will be no Latin
> Wikinews nor Old Greek Wikipedia. (Or, if something is different,
> someone from LangCom should say something.)

There are people all over the world than *can* speak Old Greek, but
does anyone actually do so routinely? As far as I know, people speak
it in order to learn it so they might read historical things written
in it. Latin is used by the Vatican as an official language on a
regular basis. I suppose the key thing is that Latin is still written
today, Greek is just read.