[Foundation-l] Analysis of lists statistics: community in decline

Ziko van Dijk zvandijk at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 30 11:28:43 UTC 2008

The problem we have is well measuring the community and the activities. I am
looking forward that the UNU-MERIT survey will be a huge step to knowing
"us" better.

Activity on malinglists and Wikimedia Statistics can only give hints, but
not tell us about the quality of mails and edits. This is again trying to
read something from Statistics that cannot be read from them.

A decrease of the total number of edits in a WP language edition can mean,
for example, a decrease of vandalism. Or: WP rules have been discussed
largely, now Wikipedians do less discussions. Or: Wikipedians have learned
to do more within one single edit when writing an article etc. Or: The
Poplar Bluff syndrome (bot generated geographical stubs / pseudo articles)
with its aftermath has settled.

A "New Wikipedian" can be simply a vandal, having made 5 edits in a month
(en.WP will not ban him so fast). Maybe the potential vandals have lost the
fun, or are all blocked, that's why we have less new Wikipedians etc.
It is also natural that people create less articles or edit less because
many articles already exist and are well written.

It may be true that "there is a stagnation or decline", but I cannot see
substantial evidence for ... well, what is it exactly we mean that shows
"stagnation" or "decline"?

Ziko van Dijk

Ziko van Dijk
NL-Silvolde