[Foundation-l] foundation-l Digest, Vol 55, Issue 62

Rich Holton richholton at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 13:13:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 8:45 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/10/22 Mike.lifeguard <mikelifeguard at fastmail.fm>:
> > Delphine wrote:
>
> >>1) The slogan "Wikipedia is a non-profit" sounds weird to me...
>
> > Well, Wikipedia itself isn't a nonprofit, the Foundation is. But "is
> > nonprofit" and "is a nonprofit" are both acceptable in English (1st is
> > an adjective, 2nd is a noun) so I don't see an issue with those words.
>

> "is nonprofit" would be more strictly accurate.
>

> - d.

It's not conclusive of anything, but interesting:

Google.com search for
"is non-profit": about 90,000
"is nonprofit":  about 41.200
"is a nonprofit": about 1,930,000
"is a non-profit": about  1,660,000

Of course, this doesn't take into account the context.

Perhaps "Wikipedia is a nonprofit organization" (or "non-profit
organization") if you prefer. Of course, that exposes the
"organisation/organization" difference.

-Rich