[Foundation-l] We have the problem

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Wed Oct 29 03:48:19 UTC 2008

Pedro Sanchez wrote:
> Alternatively, we've learn not to go into long long nitpicking threads.
> So this is better, less volume, but signal/noise increases.
>
> I'm even reading some threads now instead of automatically canning them.
>
> Beware of the emailpostcountitis!

I agree with this, especially as it relates to recent activity. My sense
is that recent discussions on this list have been very useful (including
this thread), quite a bit more than they were roughly a year ago.
Anyway, using my rough impressions as a guide, I find basically no
correlation between the volume of messages and the quality.

This is not to say that activity levels aren't something to be concerned
about, although I might want to start with a focus on something other
than this mailing list. But sometimes lots of visible activity reflects
(or promotes) lots of productive work; sometimes lots of activity simply
means we're bogged down in things that are keeping us from productivity;
sometimes visible activity is lower because we're busy being productive
in other ways; and sometimes activity is lower because we're not as
involved in the projects. Using a two-directional measurement to
describe phenomena with at least four possible compass points will only
be a very small start, from an analytical perspective.

--Michael Snow