[Foundation-l] Wikimedia announcements in various sizes

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Mon Oct 27 17:53:26 UTC 2008

2008/10/27 Ziko van Dijk <zvandijk at googlemail.com>:
> It might be considerable to have in future Wikimedia announcements in
> various sizes, like L, M and S. Then, a Wikipedia language edition community
> can choose which one to adopt.

It would help, I think, if we would associate certain processes with
these levels of importance, e.g.:

* high importance: announcement in meta site-notice, posting on
foundation-l and translators-l, biweekly updates on translators-l
* medium importance: posting on translators-l
* low importance: add language link examples to document & purely rely
on self-organization to achieve translations.

For projects like the survey, we've effectively already followed the
"high importance" process above.

Separately, it remains the case that coordinating translations is a
very serious, dedicated piece of work. If the organization could
afford it, it would be lovely to have a full-time translation
coordinator who worries about no other problem. As is, we've on a
case-by-case basis allocated staff time to coordinate translations,
and relied on some very active volunteers (yay Casey!) to help
throughout the process.

--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation