[Foundation-l] What's appropriate attribution?

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 06:14:00 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 8:15 PM, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, it would be good to have such tool as the first step. It would be
> useful to have it even during this discussion to get a figure about
> what do we demand from authors who would write books based on
> Wikipedia.
>
> So, as I hope that you are interested in making that 0:-) may you give
> numbers for, let's say, countries [1] of the world and species Felidae
> [2].

I have already made one once (my goal being to compare a few different
algorithms to see which one most corresponds to people's ideas of who
actually is the author), but it seems to have gotten lost in a
computer crash or something like that.

> And, of course, we need lists of contributors:
> 1. Every contributor [let's say, without bots, while it may be
> disputable, too] with an account and with immediately not reverted
> edits. -- as the largest group of authors.
> 2-n. Other ideas which you mentioned.

Regarding the bots, my idea would be to exclude not by being a bot,
but by only looking at the actual text and images on the page. Much
bot work would then be excluded because changing interwiki or changing
the target of an internal link would not be counted.

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com