[Foundation-l] What's appropriate attribution?

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 13:43:33 UTC 2008

To Anthony and Jussi-ville,

Why do you want attribution of work you have done on Wikipedia
articles to be acknowledged more prominently in dead tree media than
it is online?

That's the sense I get from you when you say that referencing an
online publication of the history is not okay.  If one looks at the
Wikipedia publication, in general one has to choose to seek out the
edit history and (in many cases) put effort into parsing through it
before they would even notice that you had contributed significantly
to the article.  You seem to be suggesting that in the case of dead
tree media you have an expectation that attribution be made
clearer/easier to access than it is online.  Is that a correct
understanding of your view point?  And if so why?

Personally, it feels antithetical to the principles of free content
and frankly a bit unethical to demand that reusers give a more
prominent acknowledgment to contributers than one receives from the
primary publication, i.e. Wikipedia.

-Robert Rohde