[Foundation-l] What's appropriate attribution?

geni geniice at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 16:33:27 UTC 2008

2008/10/21 Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>:
> Really, why are we not talking about how this is to WORK for the people that
> will use our data.. Please remember that this is what we do it for.
> Thanks,
>       GerardM

Problem is there are rather a different set of scenarios where
different standards are likely to be popular:

==Text==

Text from wikipedia can have a very large number of authors and in
many cases the work is a derivative of the work of every single
author. So lets look at the various uses for wikipedia text.

*Reproduction of a single article. In this case having to include an
author list longer than the article is a real problem. So people may
advocate being allowed to include a straight URL where the author list
can be found.

*reproduction of a collection of articles as a book (say a book on WW2
British submarines). In this case including a complete authorlist
while potentially rather uninformative would certainly be possible. A
URL would likely be regarded as a poor replacement.

*reproduction of an article in a non GFDL environment (say a single
article in a magazine). For a normal article a complete authorlist
would be possible but would tend to break down for WW2

*use in a power point presentation. Doesn't really matter. Whatever
requirements you put in place people just jam in a couple of slides at
the end with the stuff on it and rapidly shuffle past them.

*Recorded to vorbis/tape/mp3/45 whatever. Not too much a problem (with
the posible exception of the 45). There are various bits of text
reading software around that could read through the complete author
list although most people would stop listening there.

*Recorded for conventional radio. Serious problem here. no one is
going to want to waste airtime reading out too long a list of credits
at the same time things like
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=France&action=history would
be rather hard to read out on air.

*use in a computer game. As long as credit in the credit file is
accepted not a problem. In game credit is a bit of a headache.

==Photos==

Photos tend to have fewer authors but tend to be more frequently
deployed in situations where space is a premium.

*postcard. As long as putting credit on the back is accepted not a problem.

*jigsaw. as long as putting the credit on a separate object (in this
case the box) is accepted not a problem

*use in a computer game. As long as credit in the credit file is
accepted not a problem. In game credit may be possible via standard
watermark method

*Use on a T-shirt. There would be space but I have no idea where the
credit should be put.

*Tattoos. I'm not aware of any copyright cases over tattoos.

This is just a start and I haven't yet covered other forms of media
(video sound sculpture etc). I could have a shot if anyone is
interested.
.
--
geni