[Foundation-l] The license situation

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Tue Oct 21 07:14:32 UTC 2008

David Gerard wrote:
> 2008/10/19 John at Darkstar <vacuum at jeb.no>:
>

>> I hope no one seeriously consider using that site for defining what
>> writers on Wikipedia means about free cultural works. If so, then
>> someone should think through very carefully how the comunity operates
>> and how it will react on something like this.
>>

> I think you're about eighteen months late in saying so:
>
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Licensing_policy
>
> Of course, some of "the community" have ideas on what licenses mean
> that are frankly on crack. We've had people make admin on en:wp
> without understanding that GFDL works they create can be used outside
> Wikimedia.

To be fair, it's hard to find a succinct, non-legalese explanation. =]

The closest I could find to a plainly phrased description of Wikipedia's
licensing status linked from the front page is from
Wikipedia:Copyrights, to wit: "Wikipedia content can be copied,
modified, and redistributed /so long as/ the new version grants the same
freedoms to others and acknowledges the authors of the Wikipedia article
used (a direct link back to the article is generally thought to satisfy
the attribution requirement)."

But this sentence is the 3rd sentence of the 2nd paragraph of the
article. There's a status-of-this-page box at the top, a billion
disambiguation hatnotes, a full disclaimer paragraph with bolded intro,
then the nondescript/nondelineated beginning of the actual page, and
even then an analogy of our still-to-be-discussed copyright status to
free software's copyright status, and a mention that this is related to
the as-yet-undefined term "copyleft". Then after all that you get to the
quoted sentence above which actually says something about our copyrights. =]

-Mark