[Foundation-l] languages with INVENTED codes

Chad innocentkiller at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 07:26:44 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 1:39 AM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hoi,
> Really problematic are codes like the one used for Alsation; the "als"
> code.
> This code is according to the standard to be used by Tosk Albanian while we
> use it for "Alsatian". This is not acceptable for what we currently do,
> making it compulsory for future new projects is not acceptable either.
> Projects like these should be renamed as they are squatting ligitimate
> codes
> for ligitimate languages.
> Thanks,
>      GerardM

Asking people to change their URLs is not a good idea. Let's
say the standards changed and EN was no longer English.
Do you honestly think we'd move en.wiki just because some
standards body says we're using the wrong code?

While I agree that it's best practice to follow the standard, forcing
a subdomain change on a project simply to follow a standard is
absurd.

Perhaps moving it to the correct language code and leaving the
old one in place as a redirect could work :)

-Chad