[Foundation-l] The license situation

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Sat Oct 18 20:44:37 UTC 2008

2008/10/18 Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com>:
> Why debate the license terms here and now?

Because CC has tried to address some of the concerns and objections,
it would be good to know what you perceive as the key remaining
issues. I've found CC generally to be very responsive and open to the
needs of the Wikimedia community.

While the release of the FDL 1.3 is an important step in a process,
it's not the end of that process. Please see the original resolution
by the Board last year on the licensing change:

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/foundation/wiki/Resolution:License_update

"It is hereby resolved that:

* The Foundation requests that the GNU Free Documentation License be
modified in the fashion proposed by the FSF to allow migration by mass
collaborative projects to the Creative Commons CC-BY-SA license;
* Upon the announcement of that relicensing, the Foundation will
initiate a process of community discussion and voting before making a
final decision on relicensing."

This continues to be the plan. We do believe we've found a potential
compromise with regard to future use of the FDL, which is part of what
the FSF and WMF have been working on recently.

Erik
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation