[Foundation-l] The license situation

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 17:08:29 UTC 2008

Best I can tell the last official statement from the FSF on the GSFDL
was over two years ago (back when we were running mediawiki 1.7) there
have been the odd unofficial statements but they came to nothing. This
being the case we must assume the GSFDL is dead or so comatose as to
be out of the picture (not entirely a bad thing the license was
painfully bad).

The moves to try and get some form of CC-BY-SA /GFDL merger appear to
have ground to a halt.

So what can we do. Ignoring the situation isn't a long term viable option.

There is the stick. We could prevent say further GFDL only image
uploads and produce a press release explaining why.

Other options are putting together a group to actively lobby the FSF
to get something done but I'm not sure they would react to that to
well.

So what to do?

--
geni