[Foundation-l] Wikimedia finances and the economy

Chad innocentkiller at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 19:00:36 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Sue Gardner <sgardner at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> [snip]
>
> FWIW, it is also conventional wisdom that "small gifts" (the bulk of
> what comes in through our online fundraiser) remain fairly insensitive
> to economic turmoil until and unless the turmoil looks very bad, and
> looks like it will last a very long time. (I expect that individuals
> start cutting back their charitable donations at about the same time
> they make other personal cutbacks, like cancelling vacations, skipping
> evenings out, etc.)  Foundation grants are considered fairly impervious
> to economic downturn; corporate grantmaking programs semi-susceptible
> because the budgets of some are tied to the organization's own financial
> performance. It is also the case that in economic hard times,
> philanthropy shifts somewhat away from charities like museums and
> schools, towards those providing basic necessities such as food and
> housing.
>
> [/snip]

Very good post Sue, great to know that all of this is being looked after and
taken
care of. One thing I might point out. You mention above(I quoted the
relevant bit)
that you believe people will start cutting charitable donations when they
cut
personal spending. I am afraid that time is already upon us. Most people (at
least
that I know) have hit a point financially where vacations and a night on the
town
are a luxury we just can't afford, at least not with the regularity a
different
economy could afford.

Sad, but true :(

-Chad